Tuesday 28 August 2012

IF YOU ADMIRE SOMEBODY YOU SHOULD GO AHEAD AND TELL THEM. PEOPLE NEVER GET THE FLOWERS WHILE THEY CAN STILL SMELL THEM.

Good Times







Death is a great teacher.  It is the greatest way to learn what you should never take for granted, what you should appreciate every day, and it is humanizing.  It brings people together and it displays our true compassion for one another.

*******

A lot of people knew Sam as a great TA, but his passing showed us that he was much more; he was a professor.  His untimely death rippled through to the lives of everyone he encountered on his journey through life.  We were all shocked at first, and then devastated, but in the end all the good memories overwhelmed us.  I remember getting the text and just sitting there staring at my phone in disbelief.  Naturally, my mind started racing and I wondered if I could have done more; if I could have prevented this.  It took some time, but I realized that none of us can play God; it is out of our hands.  I started seeing all the pictures, the smile and the headphones and it hit me.

*******

Life is about making history.  It is about meeting people and changing their lives.  It is about being so selfless that even when you are gone, you leave a little something behind.  Sam left a lot.  The one lesson I will never forget Sam teaching me is to stand up for what you believe in, even if it is uncool.  He was truly a man of character.  I hope I can take these lessons and pass them on and when we meet again, I can only hope he is proud of what I leave behind.

-RIP Sam

No comments:

Post a Comment